Thursday 12 February 2009

UNC outlasts Duke at Cameron Indoor

If you want to see a replay of this game plus all the live college basketball and football games you want, sign up for ESPN360.

To start off I think I should make it clear that I am a Duke fan, and I might as well come out and admit that this post might be a little subjective. I am really glad that the first post I am writing is a review of an episode of the historic Duke-UNC rivalry. I watched the superbowl two weeks ago and if I had the choice to watch one of the two I would choose the mythical battle at Cameroon Indoor every single time. Before I get to the actually summary, I want to run down my top reasons for loving this game so much:
  1. Without a doubt, together Dick Vitale and Mike Patrick form the best duo in broadcasting. He's playing like Barishnakov will echo in my ear for days to come, as well as Dick's description of Coach William's suit as not a K-mart special.
  2. There is no team that plays harder or with more emotion than Duke. Let's face it, when you compare Duke's roster with that of any other ACC team, Duke severly lacks athleticism. Let's face it, Scheyer taking free throws is freakishly similar to that of a JV girl. However, even because of the athletic deficit, Duke runs over many of these teams.
  3. Cameron Crazies. Case in point: Speedo Guy. 'Nough said.
  4. JJ Redick. Yes, everytime I see someone with a Duke uniform I get images of JJ spotting up from 40 feet (vs Miami).
Now to the game itself. Overall, I would describe it as a UNC sandwich. The first 5 minutes were dominated with UNC jumping to an early lead, mainly because of Deon Thomson who, based on his facial expression, hit five shots in a row for the first time in his l
ife. However, once Duke hits one three they usually hit 8 more. I am pretty sure Greg Paulus was born fading away, and because of this he can drain it from 30 feet right in Lawson's face. He is also the hardest worker on the court at any time. Let's face it, when he stands next to Ty Lawson he looks like 170 lbs of jell-o, yet you can still see him diving into the second row for a loose ball. 
After Greg Paulus' three Duke came back and was actually winning by 9 at one point, and I think if it wasn't for the halftime intermission then Duke could have stayed on top. However, Duke's shots started rimming out and just like the booms and busts of the economy, once it gets going you cannot stop it. The dagger came when Hansbrough was able to put the lead into double digits with a three ball. Yes, Tyler Hansbrough made a three, and it wasn't an open one either. It was in Kyle's eye and at least a foot off the line. Duke did manage to get the lead down to 8 but that is as low as it would go. In the end UNC prevailed in the heatfest. 













I do have to make several statements before 
I end this post. 
  • McClure is the most underrated player in college basketball. He gets maybe 2 shots a game because he is on a team with Henderson, Singler, Smith, Paulus and Scheyer, but he has such an impact on games with clutch steal and offensive rebounds. Look at him, he has the build of a point guard yet he pulled down 8 offensive rebounds against Miami. 
  • Gerald Henderson has blossomed into an amazing basketball player. All he did last year was dunk a couple times a game, but now he is rebounding, he is driving and dishing, he is making threes, he is dropping clutch shots (eg Wake Forest), and he is still dunking like there is no tomorrow. 
  • Congrats to Tyler Hansbrough, along with Greene, they are the first UNC players to go 4-0 at Cameroon Indoor Stadium.
Dick V's quotes of the game:

"Lawson hasn't been able to penetrate and Ellington hasn't been able to hit it" :) :)

"He cares about one number: winning this game" (???)

No comments:

Post a Comment