Wednesday 18 February 2009

Oklahoma City Thunder's new mascot is a......BISON??

Forget steroids in baseball, NCAA football playoffs, and even the financial crisis. This is a mystery that needs to be given top priority. Since I first heard that the Oklahoma City Thunder are having a Bison as their mascot, I have sat at my desk trying to think of the connection. I am pretty sure that the guy who was supposed to come up with the mascot just blatantly forgot to do it and therefore drew a last minute bison. He then tried to salvage the whole idea by calling him Rumble, which I guess was a good enough connection for the OKC organization. These guys have to get their shit together, I mean it is bad enough that their team has the colors of a play dough set and the logo of city zoo. 

I am pretty sure that this was inevitable though, I mean were they not thinking that they might have a mascot problem when they named the team by a sound? Even though I still expected them to come up with something that looks a little more like a basketball mascot than a giant bundle of pubic hair. Couldn't they at least get a really cool looking bison? with armor and weapons? Did they have to go with the Chewbacca gone gay look?

To cap off my frustration, I have thought of 3 mascot-ish ideas that would be better suited for the OKCT:
  1. A mascot song, which would be a compilation of various thunder storms. I realize this is unorthodox but at least its oozing with creativity, and how cool would it be to have thunder go off after every three pointer
  2. Open up the roof of the stadium and only allow the team to play during storms. I know again unorthodox but you must agree it would be amazing.
  3. Invent a new superhero called Thunderman. This is cheesy but it would create countless marketing opportunities for the organization.

1 comment:

  1. Great mascot choice, we think it is very well done. You may laugh at this team now, but things are changing and fast. The Thunder organization is top-notch and the GM is one of the best in the league, as he demonstrated before with the Spurs.

    You show your ignorance by trying to "think of the connection", and you clearly don't know much about Oklahoma, or the bison would ring true.

    Did you say the same thing about the San Diego Chicken....and try to figure out how that matches up with Padres?

    Good grief. Have a blog, can say anything we want, even if it's foolish.

    ReplyDelete